I wanted to add a weather station to my home automation system for a number of reasons...
- watering lawn (temperature, season, moisture, dew point)
- weather (temperature, chance of rain)
- historical (collect data over years)
In 2006, I bought the weather station WS2300 and integrated it in a number of ways.
- I have a sizable MySQL database, so using the mysql2300 module, I stick weather data into the database every 10 minutes
- I wanted also contribute to the NOAA Citizens Weather project.
I have (as of writing this) 150,417 rows of weather data, six years every ten minutes. I can data mine weather patterns.
Here is a more recent version of the Ambient Weather WS-5300 Wireless Home Weather Station